Advertisement

Most quotable people of all time?

topic posted Wed, June 7, 2006 - 1:14 AM by  Caleb
Share/Save/Bookmark
i was thinking today that the photos we have in our album seem to be reserved for the most eminently quotable people who have ever lived. Oscar Wilde, Mark Twain, Ralph Waldo Emerson and Voltaire belong to a special class of quotewrights: those whose words are written in the interest of all mankind, and thus find a home in the arsenal of nearly every collector, regardless of race, culture or creed.

Lets see how many more we can come up with by general consensus. Post here with suggestions and we'll expand our collection of uberphilosophs...
posted by:
Caleb
Austin
Advertisement
  • Re: Most quotable people of all time?

Mon, September 18, 2006 - 2:34 PM
    On a lighter note i'd have to go with samual L. Jackson. I mean come on the man has some damn memeroable quotes.

With the most recent being " Enough is Enough, I've had it with these Mutha Fuckin Snakes on This Mutha Fuckin Plane!!!"

If it weren't actors as good as him we would remember so many lines from movies the way we do now. It's a big part of pop culture.

Thats my two single cent money units.

Fri, November 10, 2006 - 9:30 AM

The left Gate Keeper; Noam Chomsky

"If we don't believe in freedom of expression for people we despise, we don't believe in it at all."
    -Noam Chomsky

He is the most frequently quoted person on the planet, and Chomsky was once described in The New York Times Book Review as "arguably the most important intellectual alive."

www.princeton.edu/~freshman...e/chomsky/

Oh, and as long as I'm putting the left foot forward, Carl Marx.

"Oh, judge, your damn laws: the good people don't need them and the bad people don't follow them, so what good are they?"
    -Ammon Hennacy

Sat, November 11, 2006 - 12:58 PM
    Hi all I'm new here.

"Take full account of what excellencies which you possess, and in gratitude remember how you would hanker after them, if you had them not."
    - Marcus Aurelius

(don't know what you've got till its gone)

Sat, September 26, 2009 - 4:52 AM
    I think Jane Austen came up with a few good ones including 'the more i see of the world, the more i am dissatisfied with it' - I can certainly identify with that one!

If we're talking humour, I do enjoy a bit of Groucho Marks and Emo Philips

But Twain, Wilde and Churchill have to come up top for me.

Recent topics in ""Quote Collectors""

Topic Author Replies Last Post
Really wanna have a nice dating Unsubscribed 0 August 11, 2014
The Wonders of Elvish Medicine : Tauriel’s spell: "Menno o nin... K 0 July 12, 2014
"Love give me strength..." K 0 May 27, 2014
Quotes you've created...!?! Mark 11 December 6, 2013